Following a two year effort the Ormond Fire House, home to Snell Legal, has been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The National Park Service administers the National Register. It is the official federal list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. National Register properties have significance to the history of their community state, or the nation. For additional information on the National Register go to http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/index.htm.
The Fire House was a WPA project; the only WPA built building in Ormond Beach, and was completed in 1937. It is built of brick and native coquina rock and is said to have been the last coquina rock fire station in active use in Florida, which ended in 2006. The Fire House was built as a fire and police station with a jail. The jail walls and double hinged door frame and sill remain, as do many other original features of the building.
The architect for the Fire House was Alan J. MacDonough (1883-1973). MacDonough also designed a couple of other well known WPA projects made of coquina rock -- the Bandshell and Clock Tower and Holly Hill City Hall. In addition he was the architect for the Streamline Hotel where NASCAR was founded, the Jackie Robinson Ballpark grandstands and one of two for the current Peabody Auditorium. Prior to coming to Volusia County he resided in Lake County where he was architect for numerous prominent public and private structures. In total he now has 7 structures to his name on the National Register, a number that is sure to grow.
The Fire House was designated a Historic Landmark by the City of Ormond Beach in 1987 and is presently nominated for a Florida Preservation Trust award in the adaptive use category. For additional information on the Fire House see the Our Historic Building page on the Snell Legal site.